Saturday 30 June 2007

Night out in Shibuya






Had a rather large one last night. I went out with some people from work- some other instructors and also one of the Japanese staff and her friend.

Shibuya is a crazy place, especially at night. Once you exit the train station, you are greeted by a throng of people and forest of neon and television plastered high rise buildings. It's know as the area where all the young trendy Tokyo'ians hang out-many of them have bleached hair and sport hideous looing fake tan- they appear more orange than tanned...
Just outside the station were some people advertising free hugs. A guy in our group tried to hug one of the guys holding these signs, but the guy shut him down and told him to hug one of the girls. Haha.

We started off at a Gaijin (foreigner) bar called the 300 YEN bar, where we consumed many jugs of beer- which, unfortunately, cost alot more than 300 YEN. Two extremely drunk Japanese guys joined our table, and seemed to drink alot of our beer. They pretty much tagged along the rest of the night, although we couldn't really converse, as their English was as bad as our Japanese. They seemed to laugh alot and one kept giving me shit (i think??) because i was wearing my work shoes. Haha, funny blokes- they would push one of us white fellas into girls that we walked past, and then proceeded to try and chat them up. Seems like a strange courting ritual...

We then went to a club called Atom. I think entry was 3000 YEN but our newly acquired companions did some negotiating and got us in for 2000 YEN, and the ladies with us in for 1000 YEN. The club had three stories. The first two were sort of dance and trance floors i guess and the top floor was R & B/Hip Hop. We stayed on the 3rd level most of the night. Unfortunately they dont allow cameras in so i dont have pictures of the club.

All in all, a good night. Was a bit tired at work today but will definately be heading back for Shibuya nightlife soon.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi James,
I'm staying at Miho's in Pt. Augusta this weekend...the placement has been great and I'm learning a lot...I don't think your blog makes me jealous anymore! I dont wanna even go back to Adelaide now its so beautiful and inspirational up here.
Pics look good I'm glad you enjoy the life over there, goodluck :)

Anonymous said...

Hi James, I'm staying at Miho's in Pt. Augusta this weekend. I don't think your blog makes jealous anymore - the placement has been great. I'm learning alot and really enjoy the work. It's very beautiful and inspirational up here and I don't even wanna go back to Adelaide, Tokyo...no way! haha
Glad you enjoy the life there and good luck with your Japanese :) Take care

Unknown said...

Those guys were using us as bait the whole time!

Anonymous said...

Dude. Nikko. lets do it!

Anonymous said...

Ah, the 300Bar. Loved it when I lived in Tokyo.

Till I found the 200 yen Bar in Kyoto :)