Friday 15 June 2007

I'm here!!

It has been a long past 2 days...

On Wednesday, i had to be at Adelaide airport by 5:00 am to fly out at 6:00 (had a few dramas with my luggage- it was overweight and they didn't like the fact that i had a surfboard). I had a couple hours stop over in Sydney, then hopped on the plane. The entertainment crashed about half way throught the flight, so the last 5 hours wasn't very exciting.

I arrived at Narita airport at 8:30pm. Most people who are employed by NOVA travel to Japan on a pre-booked flight and are met at the airport by NOVA staff who take them to their apartment and organise their baggage to be transferred there. I, however, travelled on my own flight (because it was cheaper) so i had to find my own accommodation on my night of arival.

I decided to stay at a hostel at Ueno (i stayed there in September last year). Two hours, and two trains later i arrived at the hostel. It was 11pm by now and i was buggered! It wasn't lack of sleep so much that tired me out, it was the sheer volume of luggage i had... The metro train was ultra crowded, despite the time, so i was a little worried how i would fit on! (Got a few strange looks)


The next day, i had to be at NOVA headquarters by 11:00am, at an area of Tokyo called Shinjuku. Shinjuku is the busiest train station in the world. After a little wandering around, i managed to find the building and picked up my apartment key and also some other documents. In the office, there was a large stuffed toy of the NOVA mascot- a pink rabbit.



I returned to the hostel to pick up my gear and with the aid of a map, found my apartment. It is a 5-10 minute walk from the train station (Gyotoku). There is also a gym, supermaret and park close by- and also those incredibly cheap and tasty noodle bars.


I begin training on Monday at a branch at Tsudanuma and my regular working branch will be Kinshico, which is closer to central Tokyo than my house, and only a few stops away from 'electronic town' Akihabara.


Ok, i have written maybe too much again! Will try to put up some pics of my apartment (which is tiny) soon.


P.S. My terrible grammar and spelling in no way reflects my ablity as an English teacher... Haha.


Ja ne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today is payday, and so far, no one's been paid!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad u had a safe trip. I'm still very sick and not being able to do much...bloody flu from you!! Wish I could be there too...