Tuesday 26 June 2007

NOVA

Well, i pretty much have work sussed already. It's not rocket science, and i think it will sart to get repetitive and a little stale after a while, but one of best things about this job is the students. I have already met some interesting people already and most of them are really nice. Students range from high school students and young people who have just entered the work force, to housewives and business men. The other instructors at my branch (Kinshicho) and the Japanese staff are all friendly too.
Working 5-9pm weeknights is pretty good as it gives me time to do things in the morning. I just joined the gym too, so its good to get back into doing weights and staying active. I'm hoping i don't get too bloody skinny because i don't seem to be eating much food. I don't know if its the humidity or because the food is different, but i will be skin and bones in no time... Kinda defeats the purpose of going to the gym.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear everything is going smoothly. How do the local gyms work, do you pay a daily/hourly fee, or do they have monthly memberships? Also, how much are you paying if you don't mind me asking?

Unknown said...

Hi Jimmy. I'm also interested in teachin English in Japan, however, i will most likely go into the JET Programme instead of NOVA. I'm not sure if you needed a Bacholars degree in Australia also to get into japan, but if you did, what degree did you get? I thought about getting a Secondary Education in English, however, I'm not sure if it will help me any over in japan.

James said...

Slepjr- You pay a monthly membership. It aint cheap (compared to back home) but ii is Tokyo afterall. I have a day membership, where i can go Mon-Sat and between 5am and 6pm. This costs 8500 YEN/Month (AU$85). A full membership (7 days/week, 24hrs/day) costs 10500 YEN/Month (AU$105)

Eric- Yeah i think u need a degree to come from Oz. I have a Bachelor of Science degree, and a Graduate Diploma (Postgraduate) in Oenology (winemaking). Very sciencey, so hasn't elped much, except for some students who love to talk about wine

Cheers

James

Anonymous said...

You don't need a degree from Oz. You can get a working holiday visa and work part time and all you need is to have graduated high school.

JET is very selective. Nova takes almost anyone.