Wednesday 17 October 2007

NOVA update

Payday was supposed to be on the 15th but noone has been paid yet. A lot of people have been callingin sick and refuseto go to work until they are paid. The company has promised to pay us on Friday, but i, along with most other teachers, don't believe this.

I am not going to work until i am paid. It costs me 900 yen per day to get to work (we are usually reinbursed for this in out paycheck) but i'm not prepared to cover this everyday because we may not receive another paycheck.

I have just landed a job in a ski resort in Hokkaido, starting November 19th. So, i just need my funds to last another month. The job is as a resort host- taking guests to their rooms etc. It is from November 19th till the end of March. We have the option of staying longer if it is a long snow season. Afterwards, i may return to Tokyo, i may return to Oz, or i may head to Europe for a vintage (grape harvest).

The pay is ok, not fantastic, but it includes a season lift pass. Needless to say, i'm looking forward to 4 months snowboarding- It's sad to leave Tokyo and the friends i have made here, but it will nice to see another side of Japan.

What am i doing on my days that i'm not going to work??

Going to the gym, studying Japanese, organising a few things and trying not to spend money! I am also going surfing tomorrow... Just what i need to get my mind off all this stuff

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan. I'm wondering how this will all pan out for Nova. Is there any talk of the company going bankrupt? Or any prediction for what may happen? I was able to get another job with a different company (just found out today) So it looks like I'll be heading over at the end of this month. I hope all goes well! Lots of luck with your new job. Snowboarding sounds a lot of fun!

James said...

Good to hear about the job!

You will love Japan. It's great!!

I seriously think NOVA may be on it's last days. There was talk of a rescue deal going on but i think it might be talk.

Noone really knows, but i for one am not prepared to stick with them to find out!

Anonymous said...

Thanks! I'm really looking forward to it!

I don't blame you for wanting to leave, though I wish I could figure out what happened to make this all start and send Nova into a spiral. It's very strange.