Friday 5 October 2007

NOVA... Is this the end??

I havn't talked about this much because websites and forums are littered with discussions and reports concerning this topic, but NOVA is in very bad shape...

To cut a long story short, some teachers were paid up to two weeks late last pay day. There are others further up in management that still havn't been paid. People are quitting the company in droves, some returning home and others looking for other jobs. The English teaching market is becoming saturated as the 5,000 or so NOVA teachers begin to look for alternatives. It's not a great time to be working for NOVA.

In further news, AACE, the company that does recruiting for NOVA in some Australian states, has cut all ties with NOVA after a 15 year partnership.

I'm weighing up my options of what to do. Man people think the company will go bust soon, and it is looking doubtful that we will even see our last pay check (due October 15th).

Anyways, i have to go to my Japanese lesson. For more info, check out the Gaijinpot link on this page, or have a look at http://www.letsjapan.org/forum/

To summarise: Don't come to Japan and work for NOVA.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I didn't decide to make lots of contact with NOVA about a job... haha

I read a whole bunch of stuff about them on gaijinpot
everything looks so bad!!!

What are you gonna do!??

Anna said...

Hi, I just found your blog after doing a search for news on Nova. I think we met during your OJT, but I'm sad to say the whole Nova situation now has been enough to send me packing back to Australia. Best of luck with finding another job in Japan. I hear that there are still jobs going if you're willing to live away from the big cities.

Anonymous said...

Nova called me last week to tell me about their troubles. I decided to start hunting for different companies. I have an interview coming up next weekend so I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will get a job with them. The sad thing was that my Visa was issued the same day Nova told me they may not be able to send me to Japan. So now I am scrambling to get a job before December so all the work I did won't be for waste. Nova said our Visa's aren't restricted to their company alone. Maybe you can pursue another job if you want to stay in Japan. Lots of luck to you! I hope everything will work out for the better.

James said...

Yeah i've applied for some other jobs so will se what happens... I am prepared to move to other cities to stay in Japan too so fingers crossed... Although i have some good friends in Tokyo now :( I have friends talking about teaching in Korea or China...

Were you working at Tsudanama Anna? I think i remember you too... Good luck back home!

Good luck with the job hunting Meagan. It's a pity because i actually liked working for NOVA. I liked the students, staff, supervisors, and i especially liked the working holiday part time option. Life was peachy...

Anna said...

Thanks. Yeah, I was at Tsudanuma. I'm sad to go because it was a nice branch, and I will really miss the students and especially the staff. I hope you can find a way to stay in touch with your friends in Tokyo - it sucks that so many people are now being affected by Nova's troubles with increased job competition and uncertainty about the future of the whole English industry in Japan.

Anonymous said...

Thank you! I hope everything goes well for both of us and everyone who was affected. I'd hate to see the whole English teaching drop in Japan because of one company.