Tuesday 11 September 2007

Surfing Pictures

Drove down to Taito, Chiba Sunday night. Arrived about 1am, slept till 4:30am (sunrise) and then went surfing. We had two surfs. The first was at Taito in the morning. The swell was a decent size but the wave shape wasn't great and by 9am, it was ridiculously crowded. The wind was turning onshore too so we decided to head North. We drove two hours to a place called Hisaki. The wind was strong here but the wind was offshore. Had another surf but the strong windwas making conditions difficult and it was also very crowded.

I got some fun waves but i didn't have a wetsuit with me. I made the desicision Sunday night to leave it at my apartment. Big mistake. The water was freezing (much colder than a few weeks ago). Because of this, i only lasted about an hour each surf, and the whole time i was shivering, cramping up and generally surfing like crap. I could hardly paddle i was so cold (the strong cold wind didn't help matters).This aspect was disapointing so i am definately taking my wetsuit from now on.

Below are some pics of the day. The surfing pics are Taito. The pics of the car on the beach and the wind turbine electricity generator thingies are of Hisaki.

Cheers

Hypothermic James















1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice pics. So do people surf year-round in Kanto then? Back home the waves on Lake Michigan actually get quite ridable during the fall, and the crazies just throw on their wet-suits and ride in the snow flurries. At any rate I gotta pop my surfing-cherry at some point while I'm over here. Any recommendations for a newbie as far as location and renting a board or whatever?