Tuesday 31 July 2007

Catching up

Caught up with some Japanese friends from Adelaide on Sunday. One of them is from Osaka, whilst the other is from Tokyo. They also brought along a friend.

We went to Tsukiji, which is famous for it's enormous fish market- the world's largest i believe. The market is closed on Sunday, but i have been there during a previous visit to Japan so it wasn't an issue. The purpose of our visit this time was for the sushi. There are hordes of sushi restaurants surrounding the market, as being on the market's footstep allows them to get very fresh ingredients.

The sushi we ate was fantastic, it was so fresh that it seemed to melt in your mouth and the taste was incredible. It was great to watch it being prepared as well. One of the guys i was with sampled some whale sushi but i stuck to salmon (sake), tuna (maguro) and salmon eggs (ikura)- I was more adventurous the other night and was eating beef tongue, but thats another story...).

After lunch, we ventured to Hama-rikyu Gardens (a nearby park/traditional garden). The park was surrounded by a river, and within the garden was a large lake, housing an island in it's centre. A 300 year old tea house (ochaya) was erected on the island, which was joined to the mainland by a bridge. We attended a tea ceremony at the ochaya, and enjoyed powdered green tea with traditional Japanese sweets. We also met a Swiss couple at the ochaya, who were actually in Tokyo for the world barista championships. Turns out she is the Swiss national champion- so we traded cappuccino making tips for suggestions of places they should visit whilst in Japan. All in all, a great, relaxing day.




Left to right: Atsu, some gaijin idiot, Mai and Masa







4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Mai & Masa! They're cute!
Miss them heaps!!!! I'm so jealous of SUSHI and OCHA too...

Anonymous said...

Hi there... I hope I don't seem like a complete nerd, but a friend of mine found your blog and told me to read it, so I am. I am actually a new NOVA employee and I'll be heading over to Japan in October. I'm really relieved to see someone undertaking this same experience and getting along so well. If it is all right with you, can I keep in contact? I may have to pick your brain every once in a while. I had a chance to go to Japan for two weeks last year and Nikko was probably one of my favorite places. I have all the same pictures that you do! Anyway, take care!

Unknown said...

Pity u missed Tsukiji! See you at work, ho hum ><;;

James said...

Hey Meagan, yeah i was apprehensive about coming over because of all the negative things said about NOVA but it's not so bad and i love living in Tokyo!

Yeah feel free to shoot me any questions u might have and i will try to answer them!

U must be excited!

Good luck!!